Which has the historical category of “villa”, is to the north of the mountains of Codés, at an altitude of 622. It is 80 km from Pamplona and 37 from Estella. It is a transit in Ignatian Way..
It´s composed of two parallel main streets. From Genevilla nice excursions to the woods in this area could be made. The river La Celagua is on the highest part of the village. It´s very important for the village as it provides watering for its municipal area.
Its church, La Iglesis Parroquial de San Esteban, dates from 1200 , though it was later restored in the sixteenth century with arquitectural elements from the Gothic-Renaissance. Inside the church has a magnificent altarpiece, which is considered to be one of the best examples in this style in Navarre together with the one in Lapoblación.
There is also a chapel , Nuestra Señora del Encinedo, which dates from the thirteenth century and which is nowadays in ruins.
A typical dish from this village is the dry beans, cooked in a traditional way by its inhabitants. Another typical dish is the pigeon, which is now quite rare as hunting has dropped. Another special feature of this location is the growing of potatoes and tobacco , which was until some years ago a familiar work.
VALEY OF AGUILAR
It is situated in the foothills of the mountain ranges of Cantabria and Codés, which are both higher than 1,000 m. and which create a mountainous scenery full of steep hills. They lead to valleys crossed by the river Ega, forming the Alto Ega Valley, and the river Linares, which forms the Valley of Aguilar.